Completed Groove Top
I can hardly believe it, but a few things went more quickly than expected, so I'm pleasantly surprised to have this project completed. It's pieced entirely from Sketch by Timeless Treasure fabrics (pool, aqua, and black) and Kona Snow.
I talked a little about the quilting earlier...I quilted this project with the backing side up, and followed the pattern on the backing fabric. I picked out some predetermined paths of connecting elements, and I absolutely love the outcome!!
I can't wait to throw this thing in the wash so it gets all crinkly, especially with that quilting. It adds a wonderful texture, and is much more complex than something I probably would have been able to come up with myself! I used a Sulky medium gray thread so it showed up well in all the sections.
I bound it in some of the original Riley Blake chevron fabric, cutting it purposefully so that it looked like bias cut striped binding. On the back, you can see some of the chevron.
I liked the composition of the king sized pattern the best for this quilt, but 1) I don't have a king sized bed and 2) the largest thing I've ever free motion quilted is a wall hanging quilt, so....yeah. Didn't want to jump up to a king size on my measly 7.5" harp space just yet! So to meet my needs, I changed the dimensions, making the 3" strips into 2" strips. That puts my finished quilt at 78" x 66", a smaller twinish size (or large throw, depending on your preference).
This was the first QAL I've ever participated in, and it was great fun! It was also my first attempt at a lot of curves, and I'm so pleased at how it went and how much I've learned. I can't wait to participate in another one soon! I'll be sending this to my sister, and I hope she loves it :).
Linking up to the ranks of completion at Pile o' Fabric and Finish it up Friday!