Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt

Thanks so much for all the love everyone gave Mod Blocks! I’m so proud to have a pattern published in a magazine :). I have a few more publications that will be coming out in awhile, and I can’t wait to share those with you, too. In the meantime, I’ve been wanting a little break from writing patterns. There are so many great patterns already written that I’ve always wanted to try, but never felt like I had the time. Well…..I’m making the time now.

For Christmas, I put Tula Pink’s Butterfly quilt kit on my wishlist – and got it! Thanks Mom!! I’m so excited, this quilt is gorgeous!!

butterfly 1
Unfortunately I was a little disappointed in the cutting directions – or complete lack thereof, I should say! The pattern also doesn’t indicate which fabrics to use and where, just general amounts needed (saying things like, 3 yards total of a medium value fabric). But I wanted to make Tula’s quilt – so I’ve poured over tons of images of her quilt. I mostly referenced Angela Walter’s post since her photos are high resolution and can be enlarged when you click on them. I also spent awhile working up my own cutting list.

butterfly 2

As I complete all the versions of each block, I’ll share them to show which blocks are made with each fabric. That way, anyone else who wants to make Tula’s quilt exactly as shown can do it, too. Today I completed 4 blocks….which means I still have 70+ to go.

butterfly 3

Ummm……that’s not depressing sounding, lol. Maybe I’ll start a faster project to do alongside :). This might be a year-long one!

Like it, Love it, Share it...Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrShare on RedditDigg this

Comments

1. says

I love Tula’s designs. I am currently working on Diamonds in the Sky using EPP. I will be watching your progress with the butterfly quilt because that one is on my radar too. Thanks for the specific info about what is/is not included in the pattern.

2. says

I feel for you regarding the pattern instructions. It is a bit disappointing. I’m pattern testing (my first time) right now. They have already been two mistakes and I wasn’t smart enough to buy extra fabric nor do I have a stash big enough to pull from. Oh well. Now I know! I hope your quilt turns out to be everything you hope for!

3. says

this is a lovely piece, at first I thought maybe she is using just blocks from her sampler quilt thinking everyone has the book the cutting instructions are in there but no there are blocks on this that are not in the sampler quilt I did the quilt but no way am I experience enough to do this without help, feel it should have for the very experienced quilter only on the package. Needles to say you will do a grand job with it.

4. says

love Tula, i wanted this one too but i still have her 100 blocks but i might just breakdown and get this pattern it is just tooooo fun. looking forward to see yours.

5. says

Another reason to totally love your blog … not that I needed another one! I also bought this kit and haven’t tried to tackle it when I saw the pattern. Thank you so much for sharing all your work as you put your blocks together. :)

6. says

I purchased the butterfly pattern. Feeling kind of lost with fabric choices/cutting. Would you be willing to share your cutting instructions? If not, I will try to follow along as you make your blocks. Thanks