Block Tutorial: Builder’s Star

Today, I’m sharing a tutorial with you for a block that is similar to a Carpenter’s Star:
builders
This block is 12.5″ square, so it will finish at 12″ square when sewn in a quilt.
For one block, you’ll need:
White
(8) squares 2″ x 2″
Pink Print
(8) squares 2″ x 2″
(1) square 4.75″ x 4.75″
builders 2
Chevrons – Make 4
Each Chevron is composed of a pair of flying geese made with the white and purple fabrics.
builders 3
With your favorite marking tool, mark lines diagonally on the backs of 8 purple and 8 white 2″ x 2″ squares. You’ll also need 4 white rectangles and 4 purple rectangles.
To make the flying geese units, follow these instructions:
builders 4
builders 5
Sew pairs of flying geese together. Press seams open.
builders 6
builders 7

Star Points – Make 4
The Star Points are simply flying geese units with the white fabric and floral print. To make them, follow these instructions:
builders 8
As before, repeat steps on the other side with another floral print square to finish flying geese units.
You’re getting there!!
builders 9

Corner Units – Make 4
The corner units are made from a number of pieces. You will start with the 4.75″ x 4.75″ white square and 4.75″ x 4.75″ pink square.
With your favorite marking tool, mark lines as shown on the white square. Mark two lines diagonally, corner to corner, and two lines vertically/horizontally through the center of the square.
builders 10
Pin the white square to the pink square, right sides together. Sew 1/4″ on each side of the diagonal lines.
builders 11
builders 12
Cut along the straight lines.
builders 13
Cut along the diagonal lines.
builders 14
Press open. You’ll now have 8 half-square-triangle units (HSTs).
builders 15

With your favorite marking tool, mark lines diagonally on 4 white 2″ x 2″ squares. Mark lines diagonally on the back of 8 pink squares. Then follow these instructions to create 4 square units:

builders 16
builders 17
For final assembly of each corner unit, you’ll need (1) square unit, (2) HSTs, (1) white square 2″ x 2″, and (1) white rectangle 2″ x 3.5″.
builders 18
Sew the HSTs to the white background pieces. Then sew to the square units.
builders 19
builders 20

Final Assembly
Sew the chevrons to the star points.
builders 21
builders 22
Lay out the pieces as shown:
builders 23
Sew pieces together in rows, then sew rows together.
builders 24
builders 25
Congratulations! You now have a beautiful Builder’s Star.
builders 26
Like it, Love it, Share it...Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrShare on RedditDigg this

Comments

• Mema Beverly says

Fantastic tutorial and Absolutely beautiful block! Workmanship is extremely wonderful!!!! Colors are also fantastic.

1. Kathi May says

I LOVE this! It’s gorgeous!!!
    My husband’s niece is nuts over purple and I would love to make a quilt for her. How do you resize it to make an entire quilt? I’m thinking a large center block with smaller (larger than 12 inches) blocks on the corners. I’m not good at math (totally mathematically challenged), so figuring out how to resize is difficult. Queen or King size quilt.
    Thanks.

• Susie K Williams says

Kathi, did you get the info you requested about resizing this for a Queen or King bed??? I just found this tutorial and am in love with this block But I’d really love to make a LARGE star in the center. Thanks for any help you can give me!! (You can email me at susieisnana (at) gmail.com.

Susie in Beautiful Hot Springs National Park, AR (that’s ARKANSAS, Not Arizona

• 13spools says

Hi Kathi! I regret to say, that I don’t have enough time (or quite enough details) to figure that out for you at the moment! I encourage you to get together with a math-minded quilty friend with some hot chocolate and graph paper to get you started :)

2. Janice Bates says

Just wanted to say, that I really love this tutorial, it is very well laid out, and very easy to follow. I made this block yesterday, and now I am figuring how much material I will need to make enough blocks for a king size bed. My husband even likes this block, even though I used purple and white (he is simply black and white). Anyway I just wanted to say thank you again. I love this block.

• Susie K Williams says

Hi, Janice. I’d love to see a picture of your block(s)! I’m wanting to make this also for a King bed but I’d prefer a large center block rather than multiples of this one. Any idea how to figure out how to do the math for that??? (susieisnana (@) gmail.com)

Thanks,